Thursday, October 15, 2009

Event #5 - Pumpkins In The Park 5k

Well, we did it! We are halfway to our goal of 10 races for Team G Shock. Although, I have to tell you, there's a pretty good chance that we may continue well after the 10 races, so be sure to stay tuned!

Nate, myself, Mom and Dad arrived in Dunbar, WV on Friday afternoon. We were treated to some quality time with our sweet Lily before my brother Drew took me, Nate and Dad to pick up our race packets. As soon as we gave our names, I was very surprised (and pleased) to hear "oh, you're the Nashville people. I read the blog!". That was our first official random reader that we've come across and I was probably more excited than I should have been. :)

Once we got back to the house, we were treated to a delicious pasta dinner home-cooked by my sister-in-law, Jenny. We had a little more quality time with the family and then headed off to the hotel for some much needed rest. Unfortunately, my brother Geoff and his girlfriend Gabrielle couldn't leave until after work on Friday so they were driving into the early morning and we didn't see them until the morning of the big race.

The race took place in front of the Capitol building along Kanawha Boulevard in downtown Charleston. It had been raining the night before, but luckily it was just a little chilly on the morning of the race. The race began at 9:00AM and we all staggered into our own pace from the start. Gabrielle and Geoff were up front, with Dad in the middle, and me & Nate bringing up the rear (mainly because of me). The race was an up & back along the river and was a really nice course - very flat and a lot of scenery to check out. Along the way we had our cheerleaders (Drew & Mom) which was a nice motivation. Gabrielle finished first (with a new Team G Shock record!), followed by Geoff (also a new PR for Team G Shock). Next came me & Nate with our standard sprint to the finish and then my Dad finished it up for the team. Here are the official times for our racers. Thank you to Amanda with the Junior League of Charleston for getting me this info so quickly...

19th place - Gabrielle Kantrowitz - 24:18.10
23rd place - Geoff Ross - 25:02.30
74th place - Sara Ross - 31:31.74
75th place - Nate Towne - 31:31.85
82nd place - Joe Ross - 34:27.41

Oh, and just because I can, I would like to let everyone know that Gabrielle finished 1st in her age group! Our first official Team G Shock award winner! And I also just found out that Geoff placed 2nd in his, so way to go G&G!

I have to say that I am SO proud of my Dad for running the race with us. I know that it was just a 5k and he's done dozens of those, but he's never done one after 8 weeks of radiation treatment. And the fact that he was even out there with us was amazing! Also, I was pretty impressed with Geoff & Gabrielle - not only for running with us (and doing an awesome job), but for running after getting into town shortly after 3:00AM. Maybe that's what we need to do to break 30:00 - run on no sleep after a 6 hour car ride. Hmm...

Since we had our "official" photographers, I have a few more photos from the race, so enjoy!

our new Team G-Shock shirts that Mom & Dad got us!

dad, Nate & me pre-race


in front of the capitol pre-race
(Nate, me, Gabrielle, Geoff, Mom & Dad)

Nate (and me if you look close) starting out

Gabrielle crossing the finish line!

Geoff finishing up!

me & Nate (look - we're floating!)


Gabrielle, Geoff, me & Nate cheering on Dad!

take THAT prostate cancer

at the finish line :)
(Nate, me, Dad, Geoff & Gabrielle)

me & Dad post-race :)

Gabrielle getting her first place award!!

our faithful cheerleaders, Drew & Mom

and of course..the birthday girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment