Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why We Started Team G Shock

A lot of really great things have come out of Team G Shock. We've raised a TON of money (thank you thank you thank you), we've gotten in much better shape, and Nate & I have gotten a lot closer (that will happen when you're running up a hill together on Mile 4 of a race..trust me). But, the whole reason we started this team was for my Dad. He is my hero and one of the greatest men you will ever meet. And when something bad happened to him, we had to do SOMETHING.

This Saturday (May 1st) will mark exactly 1 year since my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He's been through a lot and has come out of it all stronger, if that's even possible. And while he's not done with this journey quite yet, its not as scary as it was when we first heard the news. So, on Saturday, while Nate runs (and I either cheer, walk, or hobble along-side of him), that will be the only thing on our mind. There is a reason we've done all that we've done. And a reason we're going to keep doing it. For my Dad. And your Dad. And all of the other dads, step-dads, grandpas, uncles, brothers, cousins and other men out there.

sidenote: While I am sitting here writing this, my favorite song of all time ("Soulshine") is on. It helped me a lot when I first found out about my Dad. Do yourself a favor and take a listen if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment