Friday, June 19, 2009

Happy Father's Day


When we were younger, my mom used to cross stitch things. Nothing crazy..but cute little sayings or images that she could frame and hang up. One of them was and has always been one of my favorites. It is still (I believe) hanging up in their bedroom and it says "Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad." I think it was one of my favorites because it is SO true. The moment a child is born, their father is their father..that's a given. But in order to be a dad, a man has to be truly special. He has to give up his life as he knew it - from that moment on he is there to provide for and love his child with all that he has.

That's exactly what my dad has done since the moment he became a dad. He has always been there for my brothers & I and would do ANYTHING to see us happy. He fell out of a tree and got knocked out just so we could have a tire swing that we wanted so badly. He cooked at "Chef Daddy's" when Mom went out of the town for the first time & I was scared we wouldn't eat. He provided us with the amazing experience of living overseas and seeing sights that most people don't get to see in their lifetime (even if we were whiney on some of the trips). He went to Daddy/Daughter dances with me. He taught us all to drive..and was patient all along the way, even sometimes when he probably shouldn't have been. He made us pancakes or waffles or whatever we wanted pretty much every single Saturday morning. He lets us fall down on our own but is there to pick us up when we need him. He was an Army Colonel, but still would play and laugh and watch cartoons with all of us any day. Long story short...he is an amazing father and an even more amazing dad.

Happy Father's Day to my Dad and all of the other Dads out there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment